Electrical engineering is the design, building and maintenance of devices and systems that are powered by or produce electrical power, for example motors, smartphones and power generation equipment.
Throughout history, electrical engineers and innovators have played (and still do play) a huge role, largely shaping the way in which we live our lives. They are the innovators and designers that create complex and life changing systems and ensuring they run smoothly. For example, Thomas Edison’s invention of the electric lightbulb, Philo T. Farnsworth’s invention of the television, and more recently working on the nation’s power grid and the microchips inside our smartphones.
With the increased use of electronics and electrical systems in our lives today, we truly do rely on electricity and technology every day, meaning a qualified electrical engineer can pursue a diverse range of career opportunities with the field having grown tremendously, expanding into a number of specialised categories including motors, batteries, control systems, power generation and transmission navigation systems and much more.
What Do Electrical Engineers Do?
Electrical engineers may be required to:
- Evaluate electrical systems, products, components and applications
- Design new ways to use electrical power to develop or improve existing products and systems
- Perform detailed calculations to develop manufacturing, construction and installation standards and specifications
- Direct the manufacture, installation and testing of electrical equipment to ensure that products meet specifications and codes
- Investigate complaints from customers or the public, evaluate problems and recommend professional electronic engineering solutions
- Work with project managers on production efforts to ensure that projects are completed satisfactorily, on time and within budget
- Stay up-to-date on the latest research and technologies
Electrical engineers are integral parts of thousands of companies, being an immensely broad field with jobs possible in a huge array of industries.
Manali Mujumdar, an electrical engineer for E Source, explains; “There is a lot of variety in an electrical engineer’s job – from talking to a customer about the requirements of a project, to designing the product, coordinating with manufacturing to get it made, ensuring quality assurance testing goes well, and making sure the product is delivered to the customer on time.”
CAL International are modern engineering consultancy that combines high-quality traditional engineering principles with cutting edge technology to provide innovative solutions. We have a highly experienced team of engineers available for any projects, large or small.
If you would like a friendly chat to discuss your engineering needs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about our services or to begin your next engineered project, you can also contact us today by;
calling +44 (0)151 315 0490